Monday, December 26, 2016

Helps for Perfectionists: Life Isn't About Deserving

Every time I start working on a new post, without fail, Heavenly Father does His best to drive home the principle I'm trying to learn and teach. For motto #5 - life isn't about deserving - the lesson came when I dropped my phone in the toilet - the last straw in a string of errors I'd made during a long and exhausting week - and I began tearing myself apart. Well, I'm pretty efficient at giving myself a hard time, and within a few hours I was feeling downright awful! I'd even convinced myself that I deserved my broken phone. 

 

This tip may seem to contradict the last one about taking responsibility  but they're not opposites. The difference is that we take responsibility for what we can control, and we give what we can't control up to the Lord, remembering not to define ourselves by our limitations or even our strengths. 

But boy, the chant of the Anti-Christ Korihor is ever alive today, telling us that "every man prosper(s) according to his genius, and every man conquer(s) according to his strength" (Alma 30:17). That's the chant I was listening to when I fell into the repetitive self-bludgeoning that made me feel so awful the other day. It was the lie that I had to earn my blessings (in this case, phone) that caused me to cry over spilled milk. 

So let me ask you a question. Do we believe this lie? Are we stuck in a belief that mankind exists in a state of survival of the fittest? Do we see ourselves in competition with those around us, and that only the most skilled, most attractive, or most _____ (you fill in the blank) will survive, or at least thrive? Do we believe that if we are weak, we deserve the suffering that befalls us, because if we were somehow stronger (less vulnerable) we could avoid it? 

I love the story of the man who was born blind, and Christ's response when asked the question: "Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?"

Christ's answer was: "Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God may be made manifest in him."

In this story we know what works of God Christ was referring to - He healed the man, and the man who was born blind received his sight. This miracle was further evidence that Christ was who He said He was. But what about in our lives? Do we accept that our weaknesses (or difficult life events) may not be our doing, but may be an opportunity for Christ's grace to operate in our lives? What if it isn't our current capabilities at all that determine what temporary and eternal reward we receive, but the power of an all-capable God who is on our side?

It's Christmas time, so of course I have to proclaim that Christ does want to work miracles in our lives! But are we getting in the way, wanting to solve things our way rather than asking what works God wants to manifest through us? Sometimes an immediate solution does not further His purpose, which of course is "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." Maybe God needs you to be vulnerable. If you're not sure, ask Him. 

As for me, I keep getting the prompting that I need to stop trying to earn blessings, love, or even money, because when I try to earn them, both they and joy elude me. Instead I need to trust in God. After all, we know that we cannot earn our salvation, for "since man had fallen he could not merit anything of himself; but the sufferings of death of Christ atone for [his] sins, through faith and repentance (Alma 22:13). 

Our good works are, simply put, evidence of our love for Christ. They do not earn us anything, and if we cannot earn the most pressing of all gifts God could give, what makes us think we are truly earning our own money, affection, etc.?

It's important to remember at this point that all things come from God, and blessings don't all come in one shape or size, but they do come when we follow Him, especially when we are humble, which is another way of saying vulnerable

Brene Brown (yes I know I quote her in every post!) believes that our intolerance for vulnerability originates from our belief in SCARCITY, the idea that there is not enough for us all. We can't all be happy, successful, loved, provided for, allowed past the gates of heaven, etc. therefore we must compete, leaving others trampled in our wake in order to get what we need. This belief is dangerous because it is self-fulfilling. As long as we believe that those around us are our competitors, we will not see them as God sees them and scarcity, not love and abundance, will be the result. 

On the other side of things, when I focus on gratitude, appreciating every small blessing that comes my way, and trust in the God that provides those blessings (part of trusting is following and obeying), I'll begin to live in a world of abundance. Blessings will flow. Relationships will flourish. An abundant life will replace scarcity when I finally believe that THERE IS ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE. 

Things get messy, too, when we mistakenly believe that we have to earn Christ's help and love! But we know that the nasty voice telling us, "You don't deserve it," is not from God. 

When I look back at my life I have more than enough evidence to state that Christ does not require us being a certain level of awesome before He's willing to help us. In fact, in the moments when I've been the most vulnerable and broken (and stopped denying that I needed help), the real miracles have occurred! One particularly rough time was in college. Though I hardly earned their help, dozens of people stepped forward and wrote me kind notes or were inspired to brighten my day in other ways. I also have memories of undeniable impressions from the Spirit guiding me in that hard time. On one occasion, it turned out that those impressions brought me to a place where when I met Nate, I was a new person; I was ME. And of course, now we're working on our happily ever after. 

The key here is that I wasn't perfect when I received that divine aid. I was as pathetic as I've ever been. I did not deserve grace, but still I was LOVED by a God who weeps with us in our despair, who takes the weak things of the world and makes us mighty in His work. Wow! When I think of the kind of love God has for us, I get all teary-eyed. Really? He loves me? Even me?

President Monson said, "Your Heavenly Father loves you--each of you. That love never changes. It is not influenced by your appearance, by your possessions, or by the amount of money you have in your bank account. It is not changed by your talents and abilities. It is simply there...God's love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve love. It is simply always there."

I love the quote: Justice is getting what you deserve, Mercy is not getting what you deserve, and Grace is getting what you don't deserve. Certainly we will never deserve "all that the Father hath," but God has designed a plan including a Savior and mercy so that we can receive it regardless. What a gift!!!


Everyday is a working progress for me. I'm not perfect at these things yet, but I'm trying. Still, I know that when we stop trying to DESERVE and instead TRUST, more and more miracles will occur.

Merry Christmas,

~Kamie

No comments:

Post a Comment